By Surinder Kaur Sohan Singh | SIKHI STUDY | OPINION
Every human being’s main objective in life is to have PEACE, HAPPINESS, JOY and BLISS (PHJB).
All our efforts are directly or indirectly geared towards achieving this goal. But sadly PHJB eludes many of us. We do experience it momentarily now and then but it soon vanishes. Is there such a thing as eternal P H J B? If there is where do we find it?
Many of us have equated worldly success with P H J B. We postpone our Happiness in the pursuit of worldly goals mistakenly thinking that worldly success will guarantee us Happiness.
Here are some examples:
- I will be happy when I pass my exams.
- I will be happy when my child graduates.
- I will be happy when I get married.
- I will be happy when I have one million dollars in the bank.
Happiness for many of us is:
- Something to be experienced in the future. No one is happy right HERE and NOW.
- Something that is dependant on the outside world.
The result is that many of us die before we experience Happiness because the conditions for Happiness keeps on changing with time.
After passing my exam, now I say I will experience Happiness only when I get a job. When I get a job, then I will say I will only be happy when I get married. This goes on and on…
Gurbani tells us that to experience PHJB is our inherent right. We are born with this treasure inside us. We do not have to look for it outside of us. Any happiness we might find outside will be at best only TEMPORARY.
There is nothing in the world outside that can give us eternal Happiness. The treasure of PHJB inside us is not temporary. It is eternal.
How do we reach to this treasure inside us? The whole of Sri Guru Granth Sahib – all of the 1,429 pages – tells us how to access this treasure.
* This is the opinion of the writer, organisation or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of Asia Samachar.
Is it possible to live in charhdee kalaa? (Asia Samachar, 10 June 2018)
Why are we unhappy? (Asia Samachar, 30 Sept 2017)