By Asia Samachar Team | MALAYSIA |
A Sikh family from Canada for a holiday had a traumatic experience when a shoe of their 10-year-old daughter got stuck in an escalator in a Kuala Lumpur mall.
The quick reaction of her mother may have saved her from losing her toes in the incident at the Mid Valley Megamall yesterday (12 Dec 2019).
“It was a traumatic experience for the family,” business consultant Harmanjeett Singh told Asia Samachar.
Harmanjeett said the incident happened on the third floor heading up to the fourth floor at around 4pm.
He said his daughter’s shoe got stuck in the escalator before reaching the top.
“She tried to pull it out but it kept sucking her foot in. When my wife heard her scream, she had pulled her off her shoe,” he said.
At the time of writing, Mid Valley Megamall had yet to respond to queries on the incident.
Last month, local newspapers reported that a man broke his leg after it got trapped in an escalator at a shopping complex along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.
In that incident, the Fire and Rescue Department had dispatched a team to assist, reported The Star.
UPDATE: In an email response to Asia Samachar, Mid Valley Megamall said: “The escalators are serviced and maintained regularly and we did not find any malfunction in that particular escalator during and after the incident.
“It is the responsibility of the shoppers to exercise precaution while using escalators, stand within the yellow box, hold on to the handrail and step off the escalator upon landing. Parents should supervise their children to ensure such precautions are adhered to.”