Politics aside, the nation will come together on 31 August as it celebrates Merdeka, the day Malaya gained independence from the British in 1957. Merdeka literally means independence. Malaysia was formed six years later in 1963.
Sikhs have played a prominent and visible role in the making of Malaya, and later, Malaysia. It’s time to shine again! What about donning the turban when you go out on Merdeka Day?
For those who are already wear a turban, make is special. How? Well, think of something. For those who don’t normally wear a turban, join us on this day.
When Gobind Singh Deo went to the Istana Negara to be sworn in as a Federal minister on 21 May 2018, many heads turned seeing him donning a smart, beautiful turban.
He looked good in turban! Time for you, now. Let’s turn more heads on Merdeka Day.
Let us join the Merdeka Day Shining Turban campaign. Let’s rock the country with the shining turban!
HOW TO JOIN CAMPAIGN:
1. On Merdeka Day (31.8.18), wear a turban wherever you are!
2. Start sharing news about the campaign. We need to reach out to every Sikh in Malaysia!
3. Support the campaign by putting up a photo of you in turban (do it now) on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. Include the hashtag #MerdekaDayShiningTurban
4. If you run a gurdwara or society, let us know if you want to join. Send us Whatsapp (+6017-3351399)
5. Tell your family & friend. Grow the party.
6. You can also send photos to Asia Samachar (Whatsapp +6017-3351399 or Facebook messenger or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Historic moment. Gobind becomes first Sikh minister in Asia outside India (Asia Samachar, 21 May 2018)
Another Malaysian Sikh organisation joins Merdeka Day turban campaign (Asia Samachar, 24 Aug 2018)
Seremban Sikhs to turban power Merdeka Day (Asia Samachar, 22 Aug 2018)
Putra Heights, Kuantan joins Merdeka Day Shining Turban campaign (Asia Samachar, 18 Aug 2018)
Merdeka Day Shining Turban (Asia Samachar, 1 Aug 2018)
Penang stamp for #MerdekaDayShiningTurban campaign (Asia Samachar, 4 Aug 2018)
Taiping first gurdwara to join #MerdekaDayShiningTurban campaign (Asia Samachar, 3 Aug 2018)