By Asia Samachar Team | SINGAPORE |
The Sikh Advisory Board Singapore has condemned the ‘senseless and reckless’ terror attack by gunmen in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand earlier today that have claimed the lives of 49 people so far and injured scores of others.
In a statement, the board said it was saddened by the terror attacks on the two mosques in which many innocent lives were lost.
“We express our solidarity with our Muslim friends and the families of victims and condemn the senseless and reckless act.
“We pray for strength for the families of those who perished in this heinous act and for the speedy recovery of those injured,” it said.
The board added that the incident was also a grim reminder for everyone around the world to not take religious and racial relations lightly.
“It is important that we, in Singapore, stay united and work closely, among faith groups and communities, to strengthen our bonds,” it said.
In a separate statement earlier, Singapore ‘strongly condemned’ the incident which it described as a ‘terrorist attacks’, echoing the words of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
“There can be no justification for such attacks against civilians at the two mosques,” said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said in a press statement
In one of the comments following the attack, Ardern said: “What has happened in Christchurch is an extraordinary act of unprecedented violence. It has no place in New Zealand. Many of those affected will be members of our migrant communities – New Zealand is their home – they are us.”
The shootings during Friday prayers left at least 49 dead and dozens more injured. It was New Zealand’s worst mass shooting.
(Asia Samachar, 19 May 2017)